DT Tuesday with Video Tutorials

H-E-LL-O! It's my first blog post of the year on the Unity Stamp Company blog and I wanted to make it count. It’s been around 8 months since I made a video, so I decided to capture three for this post. Yay! Craft-ee video goals! I made one art journal page using 6 Unity Stamp Company stamps from this month’s SMAK kit.

Mostly I use mixed media techniques in my crafting of art journal pages, canvases, rolodex, and scrapbooks. Creating backgrounds is one of the most important steps of the process, SO . . .

In the first video, I use an old book page as a background by demonstrating how to “peel” the book page, add some acrylic paint on top, and then a light wash over that. This is easy I promise and helps to inspire the final results. Try not to overdo this step. YOU keep it easy.

Supplies for this video:
90lb Mixed Media paper
Page from book
Scissors
Masking Tape
Shipping Tape
Gel Medium
Paint Brush
Acrylic Paint (or Tim Holtz Distress Paint)
Water
Paper towel
Heat Tool (not necessary--just let air dry)


In the next video, I demonstrate how to adhere stamped tissue paper on top of your art journal background—specifically the background I made in the previous video. To continue the art journal process, I also adhere a paper-pieced sentiment and butterfly on top of the stamped tissue paper and background. Why use stamped tissue paper you ask? Why not just stamp on top? Well, you can, of course. I like to use stamped tissue paper because I don’t trust MY stamping on top of the background and I like how the tissue paper fades on top of the background. Sometimes the tissue paper will add a bit of texture.

Supplies for this video:
Unity Stamp Company's SMAK Kit of January 2017
Tissue Paper
Stazon Ink
Scissors
Gel Medium
Paint Brush
Heat Tool (not necessary--just let air dry)
Glue to adhere sentiment and butterfly


In the final video, I demonstrate how to “finish” the art journal page with a chunky/grungy, dark inked edge using black soot distress ink and one of your old rundown sponge daubers. If I’m inking any edge, I always use a rundown dauber. In the video, I show a close-up of my rundown dauber. It’s appreciated. It's also helpful to have a wood board, cutting board, etc., to place your project on, so you can edge the project effectively.

Supplies for this video:
Black Soot Distress Ink
one of your old rundown sponge daubers (must)
wood board or cutting board, etc.


And here’s the final result of the three techniques above.


Here’s a peek at this month’s SMAK Kit.


MOST IMPORTANT NOTE: Perfection is not the flavor of art journaling, so please strive for fun instead and SHARE your fun with others.

Linda Pekrul shared this mixed media layout below using an AngieGirl that helps documents the story of her dog. This is a very inspirational layout for all pet lovers.


Here's a link to Linda’s blog post where she provides more details: https://blueskyscrapping.blogspot.ca/2017/01/new-beginnings.html
Please express some admiration for her and her beloved Oakley. Also, her project is posted on Unity’s Show-and-Tell Facebook page. Scroll through, find it, and leave some love there, too.

I hope you all had fun on the blog today!



Labels: ,